So still...I am feeling the self inflicted guilt of ignoring those emails and potentially on the verge of biting off all my nails as I sit here trying to catch up on workflow while countless worries flood my mind of you all think I am snubbing you. Point blank, I have a husband and two little ones who are quite needy at times and depend on me for..... well.......just about everything lol! Also, I need to catch up so that I am ready for the spring season which is going to be a huge one this year (clients if you haven't booked yet....do it asap...or you might miss out).
Did you know that mosty things we worry about never even happen??>? Never the less, I can't stand the thought of another photog feeling ignored or avoided by me....as I have often felt such a feeling at the hands of other "high and mighty" photographers. I really would love to answer every question that floods my inbox but It's just not possible so I have decided to list a few FAQ's here and blog about them...(it will make me feel better anyway!)
These are just a few in no particular order and I'll add more in the coming days...weeks...years...
1) what equipment do you use?
All sorts...I am by no means loyal.....uh to brands anyway...I used to be NIKON girl and shot just about everything on my website with a D70....(um yeah--I bought it for about $1,400 when they first came out...now they don't sell the thing but I couldn't even get $300 for it if I tried...that's just how the digital market is always moving foward and progressing. I currently switch between my "old faithful" Nikon D70 and "my lover" the Canon 5D. I prefer natural light but don't scare when I need to add a little bit of artifcial light...I usually try to be unconventional if on location using several video lights and getting creative. I also have a Larson 6x8 alonf with a few alien bees. Oh and somethimes I use the Nikon flash units-- the sb800's
2)who inspires you the most???
children...I adore everything about them...like right now my daughter is --intead of walking-- doing multiple cartwheels as her trasportation...it's so amazing! I am so inspiredby the energy and raw, inoccent, spirit of childhood. I read a quote the other day that said soemthing to the effect: if you want to know how you look....don't ask your best friend, your spouse or your mother....ask your child!!! How true is that!!!!! I LOVE everything about childhood!! Even the tiffs--which are quite funny lately between my two..!!!!!!
3)what perfume do you wear...you always smell so good?
What?...okay...going with it here.....anything really sweet smelling!! I am addicted to the one called pink sugar by aqolina!!
4) what books do you reccomend?
haha! I saw on the today show that only 40% of Americans read a book within a year...how dumb is that?? I read a lot! I usually keep a book tucked inside my purse for all my "down time"...I've been know to burn supper because I can't quit a chapter....(truth is I burn supper anyway---I'm so no domestic...good thing my hubby is a good cook! and he enjoys it). As far as photog books...anything by bryan petterson...he's good at puttin it in plain terms! However, I really don't read many books about photography...hey...do you think accountants like to read books about math???? (didn't think so) I like character building books...I'm currenlty reading Finding favor with the King---good stuff! I am so amazed by the story of Esther...how she was plucked from her exiled jewish existence among other women said to have been the most beautiful, exoctic looking women among the nations. And then was tediously prepped an prepared in "beaty rituals" for an entire YEAR just have ONE night with the King. Her whole story has so much depth to it and God is really teaching me a lot through her life's journey.
5)where do you get those purse calendars on the blog?
Me myself and a template...I use purchased template designs...then have them printed through my lab...then assemble them myself.
6)how did you learn?
self taught---through lots of trial and error and practice! I did take a course or two when I was 1st starting...but the professor stunk..however, I did learn how to process B&W and used to have a lab in the basement of my mother in laws house...before kids.
7) do you mentor?
Nope...tried once....wasn't for me......people have to be as commited as I am and well....that's all i'm saying.
8) are you going to teach workshops?
this is something I'm actually considering...and Aaron an I are praying hard about!
More later...gotta run for now but just so clients can see I'm working too..I've added an image of adorable baby Boston! He was one of my ACPCG babies in the ICU at 3 lbs last time I photographed him! Isn't he precious!!!!





9 comments:
I was wondering why you had ignored my email!! Now I know!!!
I wish you would do some type of workshop online. . .
I need the business side of it. . .
Thanks so much for putting this out there! You are so cool!
So neat that you are slef taught.....so am I, although I would love to learn from you. I will have to wait and see if you do workshops.
thanks for sharing all that info! and i would *love* to attend one of your workshops! awesome idea!! :) keep us posted!
Beautiful little man...great capture!
And if I were you, I wouldn't waste another day worrying about the "e-mail bankrupcy!" Anyone who doesn't understand isn't worth bothering with anyway! Welcome back; I missed your posts. :)
THANKS EVERYONE!!!! YA'LL ARE TOO SWEET!
wow, thank you so much for sharing so many details about yourself with us! And what a beautiful child, love those blue eyes!
hang in there, Dejah... it'll get better. Well, maybe not the email part - it never stops. But I like this 'email bankruptcy' thing... it's got a lotta potential.
Best wishes getting back on your feet and for a breakthrough Spring season!
God bless!
hi Dejah,
i love your post. it's so nice of you to share with us all. But you should never feel guilty for prioritizing what's most important. I think any working (in and outside the home) mom would whole-heartedly agree that there are never enough hours in a day. And there will always be things to potentially feel guilty about. So be kind to yourself and your family first. :) just two cents from a mom/photographer who can totally relate.
Post a Comment